Friends of the Farm Board
Tuesday, January 13, 2015
Present: Doug MacDonald, Lane MacLaren, Nora Jenkins, Libby Martin, Gertie Purdy, Catherine Hennessey, Sylvia Poirier, Roger Younker, and Connie MacKay Carr.
- Call to order
Chair, Lane MacLaren called the meeting to order and welcomed eye to the first meeting of the new year.
Regrets were received from Jason MacEachern
- Approval of Agenda
Connie MacKay Carr moved, Libby Martin seconded, with additions the approval of the agenda. Motion carried.
- Approval of Minutes of October 14, 2014
Catherine Hennessey moved, Gertie Purdy seconded, the approval of the minutes of October 14, 2014. Motion carried.
- Treasurer’s Report
Nora Jenkins reported a bank balance of $5,317.18. She reported a membership deposit of $1,025.00 and expenses of $133.87 paid to island Nature trust for postage and photocopying for 2014.
- Business arising from Minutes
- • Membership – Gertire Purdy reported 74 paid up members. She suggested a mail out to remind that memberships are due. She will work with Nora Jenkins to have this letter sent.
- Legacy Project – Chair Lane MacLaren circulated a letter to the Friends of the Farm from the Mi’kmaq Confederacy in which the Friends of the Farm is informed that the Confederacy no longer agrees to the consensus agreed upon for the Experimental Farm property and which was proposed to the federal Government of Canada.
A response was discussed and it was agreed that Chair Lane MacLAren would write a letter to acknowledge receipt of this letter which would be copied to the City of Charlottetown and Hon. Gail Shea M.P.
7. New Business
- • Website – Connie MacKay Carr reported looking after the website. She relied on assistance from Alex Carr but he is not available at present. It was agreed that Josh Weale be asked to look after the Friends of the Farm website.
- • Meeting with Jeanette MacAulay, assistant to Hon Gail Shea. Sylvia Poirier agreed to set up a meeting with Ms. MacAulay with the possible date February 19 afternoon. Board members will be informed of the confirmed date and time.
- • Meeting with Mayor Clifford Lee – Lane MacLaren will arrange for a meeting with Mayor Clifford Lee.
- • Year activities – It was agreed that the annual clean up the Farm day will take place in May. It was agreed that at the March, April meeting there be a plan made to invite neighbours of the Farm to participate. It was agreed that the Friends host a kite flying day in 2015. The idea of a guest speaker was discussed, possibly partnering with the Samuel Holland anniversary or planning a speaker about Museum planning.
8. Adjournment and Date of Next Meeting
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned.
The date of the next meeting is March 10, 2015 at 1:15 pm or at the call of the chair.
Lane MacLaren Nora Jenkins
Friends of the Farm Friends of the Farm