Friends of the Farm
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
Present: Doug MacDonald, Laura Lea Howard, Nora Jenkins, Libby Martin, Catherine Hennessey, Connie MacKay Carr, Ken MacDonald
Regrets: Kim Devine, Gertie Purdy, Sylvia Poirier, Lane MacLaren,Roger Younker
1. Call to Order
Vice Chair Doug MacDonald welcomed everyone and called the meeting to order.
2. Approval of the Agenda
Connie MacKay Carr moved, Libby Martin seconded the approval of the agenda. Motion carried.
3. Approval of minutes of June 10, 2014
Laura Lee Howard moved, Ken MacDonald seconded the approval of the minutes of June 10, 2014 with the change that Libby Martin was not present and sent regrets. Motion carried.
4. Financial Report
Treasurer Nora Jenkins reported a bank account of $6,610.41. A bill to be paid of $319.54 for the friends of the Farm website and a bill $87.07 for Soaring to New Heights expenses.
Business arising from Previous minutes
• Soaring to New Heights – Laura lee Howard reported that the event will take place on Sunday, October 5 at 2 p.m. in the Legacy Garden area at the Farm Centre. Parking can be at the Farm Centre. Insurance to be confirmed.. Laura Lee will look after publicity for the event. Laura Lee will also work on a logo fro the Friends of the farm that could be used on flyers for this event. Laura Lee will be paid an honorarium for her coordination of the ever “Soaring to New Heights”. This is covered by the grant money for 2014 and is all included in the proposal that was accepted by 2014 Commission. Laura Lee will keep the Board up to date.
• Governor General Tree Planting – Lane MacLaren reported that a second letter was sent to Governor General David Johnston requesting that he plant a tree in the Royal Forest on his visit to PEI.
• Crown Garden – It was agreed that there was a good choice of flowers this year. Thanks to all who tended the garden.
• Memorial Bench – Libby Martin reported that she added two plants.
• Meeting with Philip Brown – Lane MacLaren sent a letter to Phillip Brown as follow up to the Friends of the Farm Board meeting with Mr Brown. In the letter he encouraged that the idea of Ravenwood receive attention. He also spoke with Mr Brown expressed support for the project and that he intended to approach ACOA for funds for repair. It was agreed that the Board should have discussions of ideas of what the Ravenwood property could be used for once renovated. Lively discussion ensued and then agreed that the Board should organize a round table discussion. Planning of this was left til a later time.
6. New Business
• Janice Simmonds Award – Suggestions were made and the group decided that Gary Schneider would be a good choice for his work with Macphail Woods and the 2014 Acadian woodland among other things.
• Annual meeting – It was agreed that we invite Gary Schneider to be guest speaker. Possible dates are October 28 or November 3 and would be at the Farm Centre.
Ken MacDonald informed that he wished to complete his term on the Board. Kim Devine who has moved will also be replaced.
7. Adjournment and Date and Time of next meeting.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned.
The date of the next meeting is Tuesday, October 15, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Lane MacLaren Chair
Nora Jenkins Secretary