Friends of the Farm Board
Tuesday, June 9, 2015
Present: Lane MacLaren, Nora Jenkins, Gertie Purdy, Catherine Hennessey, Sylvia Poirier, Libby Martin, Roger Younker, Connie MacKay Carr,
Regrets: Jason MacEachern, Laura Lee Howard, Doug MacDonald,
1. Call to order
Chair, Lane MacLaren called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone to the meeting.
2. Approval of Agenda
Connie MacKay Carr moved, Libby Martin seconded, the approval of the agenda. Motion carried.
4. Approval of Minutes of May 12, 2015
Sylvia Poirier moved, Gertie Purdy seconded, the approval of the minutes of May 12, 2015. Motion carried.
5. Treasurer’s Report
Nora Jenkins reported a bank balance of $5,377.27.
6. Business arising from Minutes
* Meeting with Jeannette MacAulay of Hon Gail Shea’s Office. Sylvia Poirier reported that Jeannette MacAulay was knowledgeable of the purpose and work of the Friends of the Farm and this was discussed with her. She confirmed that there are no immediate prospects for the status of the Farm to change. She agreed to look into the activity regarding some land at the Ottawa Farm. It was discussed with her that the Friends are concerned about the upkeep and condition of Ravenwood, the importance of the house and the need for work on the property. She agreed to look for program opportunities for Ravenwood.
* Ravenwood – It was agreed that Catherine Hennessey would contact Josh Silver at Holland College to request that he take a “quick look” at Ravenwood and the Cereal Barn. It was suggested that he be given an honorarium.
* Clean up the Farm Day – May 23, 2015. It was agreed that it was a very successful day. It was agreed that it is a good idea to contact businesses and neighbours to assist as it raises awareness. Thanks was expressed by The Farmers Market Manager. It was agreed that signs placed at either end of the trail would be good PR.
* Kite Day – Kite Day will be in October. Connie MacKay Carr reported that she has bought 40 kites at the Dollar Store.
* Gardens-The Crown Garden plants have been purchased and the planting arranged by Doug MacDonald. The weeding schedule is July – Connie MacKay
Carr, Lane MacLaren, August — , Nora Jenkins, September – Roger Younker. The City will be requested to water the garden.
Libby Martin reported on the Janice Simmonds Memorial Garden and that it needs freshening as some plants were lost. Lane agreed to contact Nancy McMinn at the City to request the concrete pad be moved and to ask for a barrel to plant flowers.
7. New Business
* Annual Meeting-Suggestions for recipient of the Janice Simmonds award were made. There was a suggestion of the topic Green Space and Health.
8. Adjournment and Date of Next Meeting
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned.
The date of the next meeting is tentatively scheduled for September 8, 2015, at 1:15 pm.
Lane MacLaren Nora Jenkins
Friends of the Farm Friends of the Farm